Saturday, August 31, 2013

Orientation: Day 2 and Day 3

          I realized in my lamentations yesterday, that I actually forgot to fill you in on the good times! Well, after spending a long worry-some day Thursday in the classroom thinking about our future debt... we didn't let it stop us from having some fun Friday! Although there about 90 individuals in my incoming class, only a portion of us (about 30 or so) stuck around for the last day of orientation.

          On Friday, we all met up at Garrett in the morning and hopped the purple line to downtown Chicago. After several delightful conversations with people confused about our Spirit-filled conversations, we finally arrived! Walking out of the El station, next to people who had never seen a skyscraper before was quite an experience. I had almost forgot what it was like to stare with wonder up at the buildings. Heading over a few blocks, we found ourselves at the Chicago Temple!

The First UMC of Chicago            The Sanctuary                         The Sky Chapel
       
          After a delicious lunch a a brief tour, many of my colleagues decided to return to Evanston. I had the fortune of joining some of my new friends in exploring the city. After visiting Daley Plaza, we found our way over to Millennium Park, took selfies at the Bean (aka the Cloud Gate),  photo-bombed a few people and walked through a Jazz festival together. After a long day, we decided to head back to campus. After breaking bread at Chipotle, we realized  that are timing was a little off... and thus, we began the mile trek back in the pouring rain. As I returned to my car sopping wet, I bid farewell to my new companions and returned home to wring my clothes out.

After walking on, in and through water with them, I can officially say I've found some good people to help support me in my journey here at Garrett.

Faith and Peace,
Anitta M

No comments:

Post a Comment